March 22, 2018
Understanding Early Pregnancy Loss
What you need to know about early pregnancy loss.
One of the toughest things a patient can go through is EPL, and it’s to be dealt with on an emotional level. Access Health sat down with OBGYN Dr. Jay Cohen, to help us understand more about the causes and symptoms of unintentional early pregnancy loss and why it’s important to discuss your symptoms with your healthcare provider. Bleeding due to EPL warrants expectant management to avoid complications. Methergine®, a uterotonic, along with another medication, misoprostol, is commonly used for Early Pregnancy Loss hemorrhage. Methergine® has a rapid onset of 5-10 minutes, and is an appropriate first-line agent to manage early pregnancy loss hemorrhage. We also hear from Carlyn, a patient who had an unintentional pregnancy loss and suffered severe bleeding and pain afterward. Carlyn discusses her journey from finding out she was pregnant to how she dealt with the loss. Watch as patient and doctor come together to raise awareness for this emotional topic.
Visit Methergine.com/ for more details.
Who should not take Methergine?
- If you suffer from hypertension (high blood pressure).
- If you experienced one of the common complication of pregnancy, called Toxemia (sharp rise in blood pressure, leakage of large amounts of the protein albumin into the urine and swelling of the hands, feet, and face).
- If you are pregnant.
- If you allergic to Methergine.
How should I take Methergine?
- One tablet 3 or 4 times daily for a maximum of one week.
What should I avoid while taking Methergine?
- Grapefruit and grapefruit juice may interact with Methergine and lead to unwanted side effects. Discuss the use of grapefruit products with your healthcare provider.
What Warnings should I know about Methergine?
- Do not breast-feed within 12 hours after taking Methergine. Methergine may pass into breast milk in small amounts and could affect a nursing baby. In some cases, you will need to use this medication for up to 1 week after your baby is born. You may need to use a breast pump to establish and maintain your milk flow until your treatment is finished. If you use a breast pump during this time, throw out any milk you collect.
- Inform your doctor if you have kidney or liver problems since these conditions can adversely affect Methergine activity.
- If you have a heart disease (Coronary Artery Disease), smoke, are obese, have diabetes or high cholesterol, you may be at a higher risk for Methergine to cause narrowing of the arteries which may lead to a heart attack.
What other medications might interact with Methergine?
- There are a number of drugs affected by or will affect the way Methergine works. Tell your doctor about ALL medicines you use, including prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin, and herbal products.
What are the possible side effects of Methergine?
The most common side effect is high blood pressure associated with seizure and/or headache. Other possible side effects include: low blood pressure, stomach pain (caused by uterine cramps), nausea and vomiting.
Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away.
Call your doctor immediately if you experience:
- Chest pain or discomfort
- Slow or fast heartbeat
- Difficulty breathing
- Swelling of the foot or leg
- Skin rash
- Swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
These are not all possible side effects of Methergine and other may occur.
If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
You may to report side effects to the FDA at www.fda.gov/medwatch, or call 1-800-FDA- 1088, or contact Lupin Pharmaceuticals, Inc. at 1-800-399-2561
For complete information about Methergine and your specific health needs, talk with your doctor or pharmacist. FDA approved labeling can be found at www.methergine.com.
Methergine is a registered trademark of Novartis AG.
©2017 Lupin Pharmaceuticals, Inc. All rights reserved
111 South Calvert Street
Baltimore, MD 21202
Gordon Ramsay is making one fan’s dream come true. The long-time TV chef, 57, posted a heartwarming TikTok video on Saturday of him meeting longtime fan Madison. Madison has stage four terminal cancer and part of her bucket list was to meet her favorite chef. Meet Madison Ramsay flew Madison out to Miami to see […]
Jessica Alba is opening up about her relationship with her daughters and how therapy has helped. Jessica Alba, 42, was a household name in the early 2000s, starring in numerous action and thriller flicks like Fantastic Four franchise, Into the Blue, Sin City, Awake, and others. Alba is now a mom of three, with two daughters, […]
After undergoing a procedure to treat an enlarged prostate last month, the Buckingham Palace has revealed that King Charles, 75, has cancer. Buckingham Palace Statement “During The King’s recent hospital procedure for benign prostate enlargement, a separate issue of concern was noted. Subsequent diagnostic tests have identified a form of cancer,” the palace said in a […]